Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Perfect Cover

I think a lot about book covers.  When you're an author and you've handed your baby into the hands of the publishing company, your biggest fear is the cover.  Will it look right?  Will it tell the story in one glance?  Will it embarrass me?  Am I going to hate the color?  Every time.  Since Do Over is in the hands of my publisher even as I write, I have to admit I'm already stressing it.  I was on amazon and decided to check out a couple covers.  Now this one tells the story in once glance:

Even the title has told you everything.  Half naked guy, horse, enough said.  Right?  Now just to see the difference, check out a fellow LDS author's cover:


 Now this cover leaves a little more to the imagination.  What's it about?  The title gives me some clues, but I have to admit I'm curious.  Better check it out.

Okay, now here's one:


This covers tells you a few things immediately.  1.) It's going to scare you.  2.) Holy crap where is that little boat going and why? 3.)  The clown is going to get somebody at sometime in this book.
So this cover did it's job right?  Might not be your cup of tea (oops, apple juice), but you have to admit it's effective.

Now just for kicks and giggles, lets look at one of my favorites:


I love this one because of it's simplicity.  The title and the simple image made an impact.  All time favorite and I don't even like pink. 
What's one of your favorite book covers?  Would love to know your thoughts on covers.

No comments: