Monday, April 23, 2012

How to shock people

I do shock people.  A lot.  How? I tell them I write books.  Instant disbelief.  I'm not kidding.  I guess I don't look like a writer.  But what exactly is a writer supposed to look like?  Does every single writer have to wear glasses?  I believe that's a stereotype.  What else?  Oh, I'm not a man.  Yep, I'm a woman.  Come on people, it's 2012! Oh and the biggest one.  I'm a mom.  No way can a mom, and a mom of 6 kids write books.  That's probably the biggest shocker. I was talking to a man yesterday who had a really hard time believing I had actually written a book.  He and his wife were at my house and finally one of my kids went and grabbed a few novels to show him.  He was SO surprised. Yes, I got a cheap thrill out of that and yet, really?  That much surprise? Sigh.  What about you guys?  Any funny reactions to people finding out you write?  Would love to hear them!

No comments: